• ACTIVITIES

    Screen Shot 2013-04-10 at 12.30.59 PM

     

    Mix together your favorite hobby with your vacations. West Macedonia uses her landform gifts to provide you, through modern facilities and organized trips, with the ability to accomplish the activity of your choice. Even if you are fan of x-treme sports or a peaceful trekking walk is the ideal for you, either you are an amateur or experienced, find easily what activity each count of West Macedonia has to offer and which season. 

  • NATURE

     

    The biggest river in Greece Aliakmonas, the second tallest mountain Smolikas and one of the biggest lakes Vegoritida are included in West Macedonia. Also, is the hostess of two natural parks, the one of Valia Calda and the park of Prespes, and the famous Dragon Cave. Imagine how many natural sights there are for viewing. Take a walk over a canyon, visit an underground cave or take a boating ride to a lake so you can make your connection with nature. Learn more about the natural sights of West Macedonia and choose your trip.

  • CULTURE

     

    Visiting other places you can see and learn from a closer view about their culture and history. West Macedonia has a lot to display in this area too,even from the prehistoric era. Get to know each count from a visit to a museum or sight, attending a local custom event and tasting a traditional cooking recipe.Find useful informations about the cultural proceedures, the sights location and the dates of the custom events.

  • TOURISM

     

    The only sure thing is that you 're not gonna regret choosing West Macedonia as your destination place for your vacations whatever the type of tourist you are. West Macedonia provides you with a variety of accommodations regardless of you staying to a far tiny village or a big city. Easily, find hotels based your needs across the four countys.

  • INFORMATION

     

    Find useful informations, telephone numbers and driving ordes through the interactive map. Also, take a taste of West Macedonia from our photo albums and the videos we present for you.

trekking routes

TREKKING

GREVENA

 

 

Route 1: Grevena - Ziakas -Spilaio - Avdella - Orchard

 

The settlement Ziakas owes its name to armatolos Theodoros Ziakas, a native of the village, who assumed leadership of the revolutionary movement in 1826.He was very active from the pre-revolutionary period of 1821 to 1854.At the entrance of the settlement  the arched stone bridge is located, Over the Venetian tributary of Aliakmonas.There has taken place the battle between Giannoula Ziakas, brother of Theodore and Turks.

The Cave is a picturesque village known for fights and armatolikia of Pindos in the times of Turkish rule.The position of geophysical terms are strong since the area is rocky and surrounded by tributaries of the Aliakmonas, Stitch and Venetian.Antiquities of the Iron Age were found in the center, while in the north east there are remains of an ancient fortification. At the entrance of the village is the abbey of the Assumption of Mary. Its church, built in 1633, adorned with remarkable frescoes of the mid 17th century. and wooden temple of the same period. Three stone bridges situated in the area: the Liatisas of Katsouyanni and Portitsa. The latter is located in a Canyon, where we reach by following a paved path from the village.

The Avdella raises before us after a beautiful drive through the forest Orliakas. It is one of the important Vlach villages of Pindos.He was home to brothers Manakia, the first Greek filmmakers of Balkan and Macedonian fighter Zisis Verra. On the way to the Perivoli we find the monastery of Agios Nikolaos.The current church was built in 1803.Perivoli is the gateway for the entrance to the National Park of Valia Calda.The view stretches to the wooded slopes and the authentic rural atmosphere that exudes, is amongst the best accomodation in the area. From there comes his father of Rigas Feraios.Indeed the house of Rigas in Velestino of Magnesia was in the settlement of Perivolioton. The church of St. George (1760) has remarkable painted decoration. The wall paintings  in the wooden temple, the shrines and painted ceilings are an important set of 18th century. 

Route 2: Grevena - Mavranei - Alatopetra - Polyneri - Smixi -Samarina - Filippaioi - Mesolouri – Dotsiko.

The Mavranei is the first village on the way to Smixi.The church of Agios Dimitrios, vaulted basilikain 1817, is the jewel of the settelment! In nearby Mauronoros located Agia Kyriaki, single-aisled church with frescoes of the early 16 Century .Alatopetra the old Tuzi, which in Turkish means salt, a charming village developed tourist as it is located just 20 kilometers from the ski center of Vasilitsa. Near the village the Velonias passes, which is one of two main branches of the Venetian. The bridge over the river, linking Alatopetra and Prosvoro a mule path to the opposite Kalirachi villages and Anavryta.

Polyneri owes its name to the many waters, literally flooding .The earliest written testimony we have for the settlement is the reference in the code of of the monastery Zardova 1692.The stone houses built with stone reliefs portraits, the stone-built old school, traditional coffee shops and the square with the old plane tree form a picturesque ensemble. Two small beautiful villages, Panorama and Lavda, claiming a share of the growing tourism in the region. Smixi is the nearest settlement in Vasilitsa. Stone houses, stone fountains old school and post-Byzantine churches like St. Athanasius (1760) and St. Nicholas (1700), create a beautiful set, which combined with the tasting of local cuisine offer special experiences.

Samarina is the most famous Vlach village of Pindos.Attracts many visitors mainly from July 1 after staring the festivities of St.Anargyroi. Prophet Elias, Saint Paraskevi but mainly the feast of Assumption of Mary .Natural envirnoment, oldf churches and the famous monastery of Agia Paraskevi (1713) where flourished the Samarinaioi painters are characteristic elements of the settlement. Important pligrimage is in the center of the village church of Great Panagia (1834) .On the roof of the sancturary has sprouted a tree .In the fringes of the village are located the old madania and dristeles many of them have been renovated and today used for washing the woolen clothes. 

After Alatopetra located Aetia, the old Tsourgiaka changed name thanks to the many eagles that live in the cliffs east of the village, and then the Filippaioi. The settlement developed in a new residential center. The Church of Saints Constantine and Helen is a major basilica in 1884. In the valley below the village, were found remains of fortifications ceramics and coins dating to the Roman and Byzantine period. After an enjoyable route of 9 kilometers from Prosvoro Mesolouri is located. From here came the chieftain Captain Gutas who acted with Pavlos Melas. Impressive is the large church of Agios Dimitrios, built in 1778 under the care of chieftains Totsikas and Gogos. A stop worth to the next village, Dotsiko, as it is one of the prettiest villages which keeps the traditional character. It is also the only village with a stone bridge, which connects the two districts and is used until today. Interesting is the church of Agios Athanasios (1865) with murals and remarkable decoration.

Route 3: Kosmati -Trikomo - Monachiti - Kipourio - helmets - Mikrolivado.

In Kosmati the visitor worth to see the church of St. Nicholas (1806), decorated with wall paintings by Samarinaioi painters while in Trikomo the famous petrogefyro bearing the name of Aziz - Aga. According to the tradition, the bridge fell twice and the Aga of the region threatened the foreman with beheading if it would fall again. So the master builder fearing of the threats ascended the opposite hill during demolding and luckily the bridge stood and remains until today solid and impressive. This is where the caravans were passing and performing the route Macedonia - Epirus.
In Monachiti impresses the natural landscape. Monuments of nature are the "pierced stone", a huge rock with a hole in the middle, and "Messiri stone" rock in a wooded area. Near Kipourio a four-arched bridge built in Stavropotamou, tributary of Venice. Linking the settlement with Grevena but constituted a section of the road from Epirus through Metsovo, to Grevena. In Kraniá are also bridges of the Matsagkani and Stampeki while Mikrolivado is a picturesque village surrounded by green fields and dense woods with Venetiko river flowing nearby.

Route 4: Grevena -Taxiarchis -malic - Agios Georgios - Aidonia.

The Taxiarxhs was a great village and this is obvious from the monuments that have survived.The Church of St. Demetrius in the cemetery (late 16th c. - Early 17th c.), the parish church of St. Athanasios (1856) and the monastery of the Archangels (19th c.) make up the story.At Milia, 16 kilometers from Grevena, the visitor will travel in prehistory seeing the bones of elephants, rhinoceros and other prehistoric animals found in the area and kept in the building of the Community .Then there is Saint George village during the Turkish occupation witness the large church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul (1836).The old name was Tsourchli.The new name derives from the martyr Saint George, born here in 1808 and was martyred in Ioannina in 1838.The Nightingales have been the home of the bishop of Sardis Maximus B (1914-1986),  who was awarded by the Academy of Athens for his rich literary work . Creations of local craftsmen are the stone houses, the school and the church of Agios Athanasios (1904) in the village cemetery.All together give a harmonious whole integrated into the beautiful natural environment that creates the forest of oaks.

Route 5: Grevena - Plateau -Ekklisies - Kydonies - Agios Kosmas - Cypress - Kalloni.

A path to the eminently Mastorochoria begins from grevena to the west .The Oropedio is a rural village located in the sphere of influence of the capital of the regional section.Interest shows the church of Taxiarches (1864) maintained in good condition .Below are the churches and St.Kosmas, settlements according to legend, created by Epirotes who have been chased by Turks and the Albanians. From there he went and taught St. Cosmas of Aetolia. From this place is worth a detour to Kydonies, famous mastic village. In the central square is the large church of Agios Athanasios, the stone fountain, work of the famous stonemason George Vranga in 1910, and the old school where the folklore museum is housed. At Cypress stands the church of Saint George (1867), school and the sculpture shrine of Vranga. Next stop on the route is the Kalloni, beautiful village, as evidenced by its name. In the central square are the church of St. Nicholas (1864) and the old school where the Folk museum is housed.

Route 6: Knidos - Sarakina - Panagia - Tornikiou Monastery - Monastery Zavorda - Paliouria - Monastery Bounasia - Deskati.

Following the route in the area of ​​Ventzia the visitor meets the interesting churches of the Assumption of Mary (1873) in Knidos and St. Nicholas (1857) in Sarakina. In the village of Panagia is the detour to the monasteries Tornikiou and Zavorda. The friary of Panagia Tornikiou is built on a small mound the banks of Aliakmonas and is now abandoned. The foundation dates back to the last quarter of the 15th century. And connected to the well-known family of Tornikes. The friary of Saint Nicanor (Zavorda) founded by Thessalonian Saint Nicanor the early 16th century. on Kallistrato term that rises next to Aliakmonas. The complex has preserved all of its buildings (hospice, bank cells, vagenareio). The monastery building of the early 16th c., Is of special interest from an architectural and artistic point of view, as the interior is full of high artistic quality frescoes attributed to the painter Franc Katelano (16th c.). Returning to the village of Panagia, the road continues to Paliouria from where a dirt road leads to the Monastery of the Annunciation (Bounasia). It is built on the slopes of Mount Bounasia, which is part of the range of Kamvounia. The establishment dates back to Byzantine times (12th or 14th cent.). The monastery is mentioned in manuscripts of the monastery Olympiotissa the years 1609 and 1789. From the monastery complex  the north wing survives with the cells, while the remaining three are in a state of ruins. The current catholic was built in 1816 and decorated with reliefs fitted on exteriors and reliefs doorframe. The route ends at Deskati important town, where there is the possibility for getaways in nature until the mountain shelter. The life is structured around the central square where stands the church of Saints Constantine and Helen (1885).

 

end faq

 

Kastoria

 

Route 1: Kastoria - Agia Anna - Nestorio - Grammos (Giannochori, Linotopi, Monopylo, Slimnitsa) - Kotyli - Eptachori

From Kastoria to Nestorio trip is pleasant having left the river Aliakmonas. Agia Anna crossed by two tributaries. The dense vegetation and some small waterfalls form a calm and cool natural environment. Near the village in the locality Tsuka, which is about 20 kilometers from Kastoria, in a wonderful landscape we find the ruins of the monastery of the Archangels Tsouka. The original church dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, was built and narrated the year 1254 to 1255 at the expense of the brothers Nikiforou, Iacovou and Andronikos in the reign of Andronicus II Paleologos (1282-1328). Nestorio is the biggest settlement in the region of Grammos and the main entrance to the mountain. The temple of Pamegiston Archangels was built in 1858 and decorated with excellent wooden temple. Near Nestorio, in a breathtaking location next to Aliakmonas, held every summer the famous river party,where camping and entertain tens of visitors, especially young people from all countries of the Balkans. From Nestorio enter the path to the ruined villages of Grammos Linotopi, Giannochori, Monopylo, Slimnitsa. Among Papoulias positions Flampouro, there are the small settlement ruins, San Zaccaria. The area today is 63 kilometers from Kastoria.A short distance from the ruined village, in a ravine, lies the monastery of Sant Zaccaria. Today only the church survived an elegant monument, measuring approximately 7,50Ch5,50m. This single-aisled church, with vaulted dome, cross-roofed. Inside is decorated with wall paintings of the late 16th or early 17th century. who painted painters from the nearby Linotopi. Driving south we pass through the villages Pefkofyto, Golden and Old Kotyli, picturesque village with stone houses. Eptahori located on the border with Epirus. Stone bridge connects the districts of the village and a short distance from it is the monastery of Agios Georgios. The catholic church is triconch Athonic type. It has remarkable wall paintings of the year 1625 to the nave and in the narthex in 1632.

Route 2: Kastoria - Dispilio - Argos Orestiko - Amoudara -Asprokklisia - Nostimo.

Starting from the south exit of Kastoria and following the path parallel to the lake, to 7 km is located the Dispilio. In the place Nisi excavated an important lake settlement of prehistoric times. Near the lake, in an area of 20 acres, has organized the eco-museum.Its a representation of the prehistoric lakeside settlement where the visitor has the opportunity to walk on wooden platforms, see the households of the 6th millennium BC and to bring the life of the Neolithic people who had developed a wide range of activities and a particular culture in the region. Afterwards the station on the route is Argos Orestiko. Near to the town is located, and visited the ancient Dioklitianoupoli where excavated part of the walls, tombs and early Christian basilicas with mosaic floors.Located 4 km from Argos Orestiko is Amoudara. There are sulfur springs. The hydropathic unit operates year-round and is one of the most modern. In areas of Asprokklisia and Nostimo, is the famous petrified forest aged about 20 million years old, with tropical and subtropical plants.Around Nostimo coming to light rare marine fossils (mussels starfish, shells, shark teeth, fish). The findings are presented in the museum palaeobotanical and Paleontology in Nostimo, which is open daily. There is exposed and the rare find of a palm tree, which is part of the flora of the area in the distant past.

 

Route 3: Kastoria - Koromilia - Gavros - Kranionas - loose - Melas (Korestia).

On the way from Leuki to Prespes we meet Koromilia. In the area has ​​preserved an arched stone bridge that was built in 1865. It is the passage of Ladopotamos, a tributary of Aliakmonas. Located 500 meters from the village there is a canyon, where the landscape is exceptionally beautiful. On the way to Prespes are the villages of Korestia with its famous brick houses. Most of them are abandoned. The Xalara,the Kraniwnas, the Gavros have special character well preserved houses built with raw bricks, not plastered on the facades where the color of red soil predominates. After Xalara is the village Melas. This is where the house   that has been killed by the Turks Pavlos Melas, the soul of the Macedonian struggle. The two-storey house is a historical monument, is open to visitors and hosts relics of the Macedonian struggle.

 

Route 4 : Kastoria - Mesopotamia - Dipotamia -Pentabrusos - Omorfoklhsia - Augh - Zeugostasi -Kastanofyto -Ontria.

West of  Kastoria in a distance off 11 km away, i Mesopotamia is located, where the visitor can rest in dense riverside forest trees, poplars willows and alders. The landscaped recreational area ideal for picnics. In the nearby  Dipotamia there is a folklore collection with exhibits that give an insight into the daily life of residents years ago. Near the village found marine fossils millions of years. Returning to Mesopotamia, the route follows the road to Pentavryso and then for the settlement Omorfokklisias, which took its name from the beautiful church of St. George.

The beauteous church was a catholic monastery. It was built in the 13th century with wall paintings of the same period. Particular interest is a relief image of St George, made of wood, height 2.86 m. From the end of the 13th century. In the village Αugh has recently excavated interesting prehistoric settlement. This Neolithic installation, placed before the middle of the 6th millennium (~ 5650 BC) in the north of the river staging ship-Plistocene age.The organizational structures developed in the course of about 1000 years life in a surface area of ​​50-60 acres. The Church of the Assumption in Zevgostasi is two-columned cruciform church with wall paintings of the year 1431-1432. The outer narthex is an addition of the 18th century. Continuing for Voio we meet the Kastanofyto, which owes its name to the many chestnut trees. In the village is organized on the last Sunday of October kastanogiorti(chestnut celebrations) offering guests wine and chestnuts. In the settlement there is a folklore collection with interesting photographic archive. The mountain of Audrey is ideal for walks in nature trails through a forest of oaks and beech trees. Many of the peaks are suitable for climbing and many mountaineering clubs come to the area.

Route 5 : Kastoria - Korisos - Basileiada - Melisotopos - Kleisoura.

East of Kastoria on the road to Edessa and Ptolemaida is the Korissos from where the visitor arrives at Agios Nikolaos (Tsirilovou). There, in 1904 he hosted Pavlos Melas along with other Macedonian fighters. After the death of him the guerillas burned the monastery without damaging the room of his hospitality. Shortly before Vasileiada the detour to Melissotopos village leads to the monastery of St. Anargyroi, located in a great location at the foot of Mount Vitsi. According to tradition founded the 15 ° century by Pachomio, father of Saint Nectarios, who left the monastery and lived as an ascetic on Mount Athos in 1470. In the monastery code referred to as first getter Monk Gerasimos from Sifnos the year 1754. The current church is three-aisled basilica of 1857 . It was built on the foundations of an older church from Zoupaniotis craftsmen. Then the road to Ptolemais in Klisoura except post-Byzantine churches of the town, important pilgrimage is the monastery of Panagia. The complex is preserved in its entirety. In the middle of the courtyard stands the church, which according to the inscription "built fundamentally and ahistorical ..." in 1813 at the expense of the monk Isaiah from Klisoura. The narration is work of the painter George from Chionades in Epirus. Lovely is the carved iconostasis gilded by Linotopiti goldsmith Constantine.

Route 6 : Kastoria - Bitsi.

Going up to Bitsi encounter dense beech forests that attracts naturalists.The interesting geomorphology of the area with the scaterred picturesque villages ideal for waiks and tours .Located 22 km from the city of Kastoria is an organised ski center .Picturesqe villages with old houses, terraces stone fences , narrow streets located in the side.Particular interest presents the Sidhroxwri with spectacular views of the lake of Kastoria  , Bussinia , Oxia and Polukeraso.In the area are collected  many mushrooms especially the varierty know vasilomanitara. 

Route 7 : Kastoria - Ampelokhpoi - Bogatsiko - Yerma.

On the way to Kozani , after Ampelokhpoi with known restaurants ,  the Bogatsiko is located, birthplace of Ian Dragoumis and Yerma , which owes its name to the Macedonian Captain Yerma ,  who left his last breath  in a cave outside the village.

Additional routes

• 1st - Little Round Lake: Doltso , Agios Nikolaos Monastery Mavriotissa, Transfiguration , yacht club , Tsiatsiapa mansion , Agios Athanasios - Tsardaki.
• 2nd - The large round lake: Dispilio - Lake Settlement , Gkioles bridges , Cesme, Lakos and Grkanovonta , Krepeni , Agios Nikolaos - Mavrochori, Polykarpi , Fotini , Metamorfosi , wall , Chloe.
• 3rd -Crossing the mountain Vitsi: Chloe , Aposkepo , Headboard , Sidirochori , Vyssinia , Beech , Vitsi Ski Center.
• 4rth - In the virgin forests of Grammos - Eptahori: Maniaki , Kolokynthou , Mesopotamia , Kalochori , Kranochori , Ptelea , Agia Anna , Nestorio , lines , Livadiotopi , Giannochor i, Monypylo , Slimnitsa , skirt , Grammousta , Arrenes , Pefkofyto , Golden , Zouzouli , Eptachori , New Kotyli-old, Kypseli.
• 5th - At Petrified Forest: Argos Orestiko , Amoudara , Botani , Dialechto, Belos , Asproklissia , Skalochori , Nostimo - Petrified Forest , Anthiro , Sphlio , Agios Ilias.
• 6th - In Korestia: leukh , Koromilia Korestia , Kranionas , Agios Antonios , Xalara , Makrochori , Melas Ano Melas.
• 7th -The north gate of Grammos: Mesopotamia , Agia kuriakh Inoi , Pteria , Polyanemos , Akontio , Xionato , Komninades , Dipotamia , Ieropigi , Dendrochori.
• 8th - At the foot of Audrey: Laxanokhpoi Lakomata , Asproneri , Krua Nera Zefgostasio , Kastanofyto, Caves , Melanthio , Braxos , Rock-Pond Dam , Nikh,  Petropoulaki , Laga.
• 9th - Poria, Chiliodendro, Tsakwnh, Pentavryso, Omorfokklisias, Ypshlo, Aygh - Neolithic Settlement ..
• 10th - Ambelokipi , Militsa , Kostarazi , Vogatsiko , Germa - dam.
• 11th - Korissos, Basileias dam Klisoura.

Hiking Grammos: Trails

• Sgouro- Touba (8.600 m.)             perip
• Peuko - old Kotili (12.100 m.)
• Old Kotili - New kotili
(5.500 m.)
• Νew Kotili - Νestorio (12.800 m.)
• Grammos - 2520 - Λίμνη (17.100 m.)
• Leventiko - Peak Kanellopoulou (7.500 m.)
• Sgouro - Peak Kanellopoulou
(8.300 m.)
• Peak Kanellopoulou - Sradaporos (25.400 m.)
• Fusia - Bertenik (4.500 m.)
• Fusia - Monopulo (5.800 m.)
• Tria Auga - Giannoxwri (7.100 m.)
• Alebitsa - Kali Brisi (3.000 m.)
• Palia kotili - Kipseli (7.800 m.)

end faq

 

KOZANI

 

Route 1 : Kozani - Velvento - Katafigi - Servia - Mikrovaltos - Livadero.

Located 20 km from the city of Kozani we encounter the artificial lake of Polifitos.We cross it with a bridge of 1372 meters .Particular interest presents the trail around the lake along the road in the Imera either Velvento. In the lake is located and the facilites of the Nautical Club of Kozani.The small village Neraida ,  built high in a rocky hill, after flooding of the old village by the lake offers a unique view and good food , especially fresh fish and wine periochis.After the bridge we encounter Velvento historic town in the foothills of Pieria. There are preserved Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches , and specific : Agios Minas(single-nave church with frescoes of the 12th or first half of the 13th century in the East and 15th century to the other walls)Agios Nikolaos (single-nave aisled church with wall paintings of 1588 and the earliest dated temple of western Macedonia for the year 1591) Agios Dimitrios Gratsianis (Basilica of the late 14th or early 15 century with frescoes of the 16th on the west side and the 17th century in the sanctuary) and the assumption of Mary (parish church of the Basilica type of 1807) . In Velvento there also houses the local Macedonian architecture and newly created and operates in the village folk museum. The plain of Velvento covered with fruit trees  , mainly peach .The women's cooperative wonderfull jams and preserves and there is also a production of fine wine and tsipouro.In the wooded slopes of Pieria worth visiting the picturesque villages Palaiogratsano , Agia Kiriaki and Katafigi and where are shelters and the Museum of Zorbas. On the way to Katafigi , 8 km from Velvedo is located the Monastery of Agia Triada (17th century) .The Servia is one of the most important castles of the middle and late Byzantine era in Western Macedonia.It appears as a Bishopric in the late 9th-early 10th century .From servia came the Theodora of Arta daughter of emperor  John Petralifa.The city was divided into Upper and Lower.The walls of the old city have a polygonal shape and the upper part of the Acropolis formed.In Lower town remained only reimnants of the wall and three monuments : The Episcopal church (11th century) , The chapel of St. Theodore (11th century) with frescoes from 1512 and the chapel of John the Baptist (14th century) .The saints Anargyroi located outside the castle and decorated with wall paintings  of 1600.Within a cave east of the Acropolis there is a church of St. George  with frescoes of the early 14 century .In gorge to the west side of the castle  , anthropomorphic and zoomporphic rocks are elements of traiditions and legends that live up to our days . Apath creates interesting route in the canyon.After Servia , on the road to Larissa  , the visitor  can visit an interesting gteopark with unique physical landforms in the area of mikrovaltos of the municipality of  Kamvourion  and Livadero . This is called "Boucharia" and "Nochtaria" .  The Boucharia (local word meaning chimmeys) is a cluster of gravel columns. Many legends have tried to give interpetation to this natural phenomenon.The nochtaria (name delivered from the shore) are conical elevations a pyramid grid , wondrous creation of nature.

 

Route 2 : Kozani - Krokos - Liani - Agia Paraskeui.

Crocus 5 km south of Kozani is the area where the saffron is cultivate from the 17 century . It is a precious and rare plant with very tasteful colors and healing prosperities .Since antiquilty has appreciated greatly to be included in medical and pharmaceutical recipes of leading doctors of the time and also mentioned in Homer and the old tastment.According to mythology god Hermes playing with his friend Crocus , wounded him fatality in the head .Three drops of blood fell from the young one to the flower and became the plant spots , since then it took his name .The cultivation is biological and is the only product , along with mastic of Chios that recently aquired by the EU name acknowledgment signal proelefsis.In Aeani  has identified the ancient city on the hill of Big Ridge .They releaved residential and public buildings belonging to organized city from 500 BC and necropolis of the Archaic and Classical periods with built pit offerings and tombs , inscriptions and statues .The city was founded by the king Ajax  , son of hero Elymos , and was the capital of Elimeia or Elimiotis.The offerings and several mobiles finds are exhibited in the local archaelogical museum .The Aeani is also one of the most important Byzantine settlements EE , without traces of fortification . Here are the assumption of Mary , in the center of the village , dating from the 11 century  AD and adorned with frescoes of the late 16th century ,painted over in 1877 , the church of the Taxiarxis (16thj century)  destroyed by earthquake of 1995, the small church  of St Nicholaos with frescoes of 1552 and the Bassilica of St.Demetrius(13th century with repairs in 16th century).In a distance of 12 km from Aeani in Bourino , near the village of Chromio is the museum of the Macedonian struggle  , which houses historical relics.In Agia Paraskevi on the road from Aeani to Kozani , lies the beautiful mosaic floor of the homonymous basilica with representations of birds and animals (6th century AD)

Route 3: Kozani - Ptolemaida -Pirgoi - Spilia - Emporio - Vlasti.

Ptolemaida , built in the middle of the plain Eordaia from vural village has become a modern industrial city .In the area of the largest liginte reserves are availiable to the Greek area. In steam power stations in Ptolemaida and the region produces 70% of the energy if our country.In the city operates the Anthropological Museum -Laografiko interesting paleontological and foklore exhibits. The most important exhibits are the prehistoric elephant bones dating back 200,000yars ago. In a part of the museum is housed a gallery with rich collection .In Ptolemaida operates a district heating system  that helps to save energy and reduce pollution of the envirnoment enchancing the quality of life and cheaper heating system .The system application areas are growing as it is energy friendly to the environment . Near to Ptolemaida on Perdika prehistoric elephant skeletonj kept in the position that founded . In the towers and caves of Eordaia Macedonian tombs have been discovered , which are important funeraly monuments of architecture .These large tombes belongs to prominent families of generals and partners  were built built outside towns and alongside roads.Dating under the typology of the late 4th century e.g .In the foot of the mountain Askio is located Emporio with lovely chestnut with ancient trees. In the settlement is organized every year the celebration of the cherry. The folklore collection of commerce includesw images , religious books , weapons , utensils .Vlasti is a picturesque village in the alpine landscare  ,whose inhabitants are engaged in farming. There was an improtant commercial and cultural center of 18th and 19th century. The church of Saint Nicholas basilica preserves remarkable wood-carved iconostasis and images(1795) Every year on August revives the custom of "great dance" and Vlachiotes from wherever they are , come home to live the traditions . 

Route 4 :Kozani - Siatista - Eratira - Sisani - Mikrokastro -Druobouno.

Siatista , 28 km from Kozani was an important urban center in the 17th and especially 18th century and imporstant industrial center. He developed viticulture , leather processing fur industry and fabrics. From the late 17th century is the seat of diocese Sisanio and Siatistis .It Consists of two districts xwra and Gerania .In this it has survived great number of churches with remarkable icons and woodcut paintings , such as the church of Saint Nikanora (1709) Agia Paraskevi (1677) The assumption of Mary (18th century) Prophet Elias (1740) the Agios Minas (renovation 1706 ) etc . From the same era are preserved famous mansions , stunning architecture and considered to be remarkable in Hellenic space.These includes : the Neratzopoulou (1754-1755) , the Manousi (1762) ,  the Kanatsouli (1757) , the Maliogka (1759) ,  John (1756) and Poulkos (1752) .Visitable is also the Trampatzeio Gymnasium , the Eccleasiastical museum and the cellars and siatista stands out for its wine and especially liasto. Eratyra appears in the sources for the first time in 16th century .Later becoming a main village with farming and craft production (tanning) .The result of the development was to build a large number of churches and mansions.The post-Byzantine churches are Saint George (1845)  ,Mary (1763) , Saint Nicholas (1737) , of Saint Anargyroi (1715) , and Saint Athanasius who is catholic monastery (1797) . Particulary impressivei is the wooden chancel of the parish church Saint Georgios .In Sisani is the monastery of the Assumption .The church is decorated with frescoes of 1762.In the monastery excavated the middle-Byzantine episcopal church Sisanio (10th--11th century) . Every year in the summer the village organizes the feast of the bean .Afterwards the traveler has the opportunity to visit the monastery of Agia Paraskevi Ntomavitsi.The church belongs to the type of cruciform Dikioniou temple with dome and inside reserves glided carved iconostasis and frescoes dating back to 1st half of the 17th century , work of the remarakable linotpiti painter.In Mikrokastro is the monastery of Mary important spiritual pilgrimage region in the Catholic preserved frescoes of 1797 , work of painters from Kapesovo.From Dryovouno we arrive at the monastery of the Transfiguration . The catholic belongs to the type of crusiform subscribed dikioniou church and has wall paintings of 1652 by linotopiti painter Nicholas . 

Route 5: Neapoli - Tsotili - Augerinos - Morfi - Agia Swtira - Dilofo - Pentalofos - Buthos - Korifi - Xrisaaugi - Krimini - Rodoxwri.

In the western part of the regional unity of Kozani in Voio ,beautiful settlements are scattered in dense forests of pine and walnut chestnut breathtaking lanscape that further the beautify tributaries of the Aliakmonas.Characteristics of these settlements are the two ir three-storey stone houses , which resemble fortified towers samples of Macedonian folk architecture .Some of these are the Pentalofos (known mastic village Zoupani) , Dilofo , the Vithos , Agia Sotira , Morfi , Xrisi Augi  ,Rodochori , Krimini , Augerinos.In all the villages we meet stone post-Byzantine churches schools and fountains , in many cases decorated with stone reliefs important examples of modern Greek stone sculpture.In Voio exist many arched bridges , solid stone structures forming the passages over the course the rivers. They are located on roads connecting the settlements between themselves and with the largest urban centres.In monastery of Agia Triada in Vitho , the catholic maintained , built by Zoupaniotes craftsmen in 1797 and decorated with wall paintings by Chionaditi paiter Michael at 1802 .

end faq

 

Florina

 

Route 1: Florina- Pisoderi -Antartiko - Kotas - Prespes (Mikrolimni - Agios Germanos - Αgios Achilios - Psarades)

Located 22 km from the town of Florina in Vigla area is the viollage Pisoderi, built in a altitude of 1450m .Surrounded by beech forest and has direct relationship with the nearby ski resort. The monastery of Agia Triada post-Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi , where in1904 has buried the head of Macedonian fighter Pavlos Melas, so it will not fail into the hands of the Turks , Modestios school (1903) restored and operates as a hostel are stations in passing by region.Later on in the route is where Antartiko located , that presents particular interest since the houses are on the whole built by mud brick.Formerly an important resting place for hikers and functioned as a trade center of the area .The watermill of the village was restored and houses a tavern and a permanent exhibition of old photographs .Passing the crossing to arrive at Prespes we arrive in the village Kota (Roulia) . The present name devires from the leader of Macedonian struggle chieftain Kotas, who descended from the village .At the entrance of the village erected a marble bust , while the two-storey stone house has been restored and houses the homonymous museum.Returning to the junction with the Prespa route is enjoyable because of the rich natural environment.On the shores of little Prespa lies the pictursque lakeside village of Mikrolimni , overlooking Vidronisi where is the largest colony of cormorants.Before the village is worth a stop at the post-Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi with is beautiful natural envirnoment.The big village of Prespa is Agios Germanos settlement with special architectural interest.Stone storey houses widefronts with loggia on the facade. Some have been repaired and function  as hostels .In the settlement is saved the Byzantine church os St. Germanos who belongs to the type of the cross-in-square church ,founded in the 11th century and adorned with murals of 1743, work of famous artists Constantine and Athanasios from Korytsa, .the homonym church of 1882 in contact with the Byzantine monument and the church of St. Athanasius (17th century). In the village lies Prespa protection society for the protection and conservation of natural and cultural heritage by supporting a harmonious relationship between man and nature in the region. Here also operates the information centre for the natural envirnoment  , the birds in the area the human activites and guided tours with specialized guides. 

A unique experience is the visiting to the island of Saint Achiles in small Prespa lake which previously was possible only by special boats (plaves) , while today the floating bridge allows guests to reach on foot. The island operates hostels and taverns .The visitor can visit on foot the ruins of the Saints Apostoloi , in the church of Saint George (15th Century) , the monastery of Panagia Porphyra dating from the 16th century .With excelent wall paintings of the era and the famous Basillica of Saint Achiles of 9th Century .Here , against the backdrop of the magnificent  Byzantine monument , every summer (usually late August) is celebrated one of the top series of events  bearing the name "Prespeia" . The fishermen lakeside settlement in Great Prespa preserve the urban fabric and the special nature of the Architecture of their houses .From there the visitor boat reaches the Byzantine Hermitages of the Transfiguration (13th century) the Ascension of Crist (15th century) and Panagia Eleousa  with wall painting of 1410. In the route can also be seen Byzantine rock paintings on the vertical sides of the rocks. The Prespes  is a wetland of international importance protected by the Ramsar Convention , with a great variety of habitats , flora and fauna endemic plant animal species , populations of rare waterbirds such as pelicans , cormorants and herons.The prespa region is also known for producing beans , which are especially delicious because of climatic conditions.

Route 2: Florina - Vevi - Petres - Amuntaio - Agios Panteleimonas - Kelli

Οn the way from Florina to Amyntaio worth a detour in Vevi . Located in a place of an ancient homonymous  settlement , whose habitation dating from the Hellenistic era and Roman times . Well preserved ruins of a fortress.In the cemetery of the village survives  the small single-aisled church of Saint Nicholas , foundation of the family of the duke priest  ,which has been decorated with waill paintings of 1460 . Despite the damage the iconographic program is maintained in its entirely . This is an important set of Ohrid painting school at 15th century. The stone built school Vevi building of 1919 , will house the center of envirnomental education.The stones belongs to the Municipality of Amyntaio . Located about 1.5 km from the modern town Trapezoida hill , excavated a Hellenistic city , that the blocks formed the steep slopes of the terrain. The traffic arteries took advantage of the equal curves in the hill and are intersecting with close vertical alleys. The earlier building phaces back to the 3rd century BC but the main residential development observed during the 2nd century BC.The houses have two floors without a yard. Downstairs is usually workshops and warehouses. On oneside there is a hand-mill and in the center is formed a hob.Excavations unearthed terracotta pottery workshops and machining which despite local particularities , have close ties with those of Pella. The city destroyed in the 1rst century BC. In the modern settlement is the post-Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos , a representative sample off ecclisiastical architecture  of its time . Amyndeo is 27 km  from th town of Florina. It owes its name to Amyntas general of Alexander the Great. located close to lakes Petron and Vegoritidos. The area is famous for its vineyards and famous wines that stand out for their variety in flavors, aromas and stunning colour.It is described as zone D.O.G.Q (Designation origin of great quality) .Here dominates the unique Freek variety of Xinomauro. The rose champagne prodused in Amyntaio , is the only natural rose sparkling wine in Greece. The winery union of Agricultural Cooperatives (UAC) Amyntaion can be visited , like the winery of the company Vegoritis S.A . Both belongs to the wine roads of Macedonia . Vineguards are also found in lakeside estates of Saint Panteleimon. In the area in 1986 during the construction of of the railway line was discovered by Russian archaeologists settlement and cemetery of the Early Iron Age (1200 BC) with 376 tombs. Excavations in the area continued in recent years with impressive results . On the shore of lake Petres came to light prehistoric lakeside settlement where excavation occur. The village has a mill of the 17th century. Classfied as a monument  , which is open to the visitors . In the taverns of the lakeside villages on lake Petron and in Vegoritida the visitor along with the famous wine deserves to be tasted the fresh fish of the lake sush as bleak , the carp and trout in combination with the Florina Peppers .An the end of the route is the Kelly village. The name of the village is considered to have originated from the latin word cella (cellar)  , while the village looks like an enclosed space like a cellar , as it is built in the valley bordering three mountains. The community forest includes includes beech trees , firs and wild poplars , rich fauna  (wild boars  , deer , wolves , foxes , rabbits ) and birds ( partidges , hawks , thrushes ) The village has preserved the church of the Assumption (1850) . Also operates by the Agency Welfare a woven workshop and a handmade carpet manufacturing . 

Route 3: Florina - Xino Nero -Aetos - Νimfaio - Sklithro - Lexovo

The Xino Nero 30km from Florina owes its name to the taste of the local water. The homonym Municipal Corporation bottling the natural mineral water and produces soft drinks , of increased demand for products on the market because they have declared healthy and high quality. The stone school of the village  , built in 1880 and the watermill of Yazoo , are now listed monuments.The history of Aetou area starts form iron Age.There is evidence that in prehistoric times the area was a crossroad for the people who come from Central Europe to Greece and the Aegean , here operates the center for Environmental Education "Arcturus".West of the village is the monastery ofr the Archangels Michael and Gabriel .Every year takes place the celebration of pepper.The whole area around Zazari and Cheimaditida lakes is ideal for hiking and road trips.But before we continue our journey to Sklithro follow the road to Nymphaeum  enjoying the views of Zazari and cheimatiditida lakes.The village is built at Vitsi at an alititude of about 1350 m. It is one of the most beautiful villages. Founded in 1386 by Vlachs and the original name was Neveska (=bride,unseen, places where snow stays) in a landscape of outstanding natural beauty with dence forests. It was a silversimth center of Macedonia for three centuries (1650-1930)The village retains its old phisiognomy.Many old stone houses were restored and built many new line with rigorous tradition without altering his handwriting .Visitors can waik on trails in the forest and follow dozen of trails on foot , by mountain bike or on horseback , since in the village was works a Model Riding club. In Nympheou forest is the refuge of brown bear a fenced area where they live under the best possible conditions.Here is based the European Centre for the Protection of the brown bear "Arcturus" that has facilities and in the Municipality of Aetos. Important is the village church of St.Nickolas (1867) , the Nikios school (1919) , which functions as a conference center , "House of gold" , a three-storey mansion which operates as museum of silversmith folklore and history.But the Nimphaeumis a living museum of cultural herritage , a village open to the world.It offers traditional accommodation for a pleasant stay. In 2000 a pan-European competition, the European union awarded distinction at European Rennaissance village in the beautiful mountainous village of Macedonia. The cooperative women of Nymphaeum "The Bride" produces and sells traditional products such as sweets , liqueurs , pasta , needlework , woodwork.Continuing the way we move to Sklithro a picturesque village in a green landscare.Above the village is a forest of oaks.In the settlements the visitor can see the parish church of St. George , built in 1867.The main occupation of the inhabitants is the cultivation of potatoes thats why every year in August , it takes place the fest of potato.At the end of the route we arrive at Lechovo , located 55 km from Florina and 40 km from Kastoria.Founded arround 1600.The inhabitants were renowned builders.In the village square stands the imposings church of Agios Dimitrios (1812 ,1868) and next to the urban school (1900) , which today houses the Foklore Museum , which coctains ecclesiastical treasures, tools, household, items and clothing. In this building complex includes the stone fountain (1908) , that quench the thirst of the weary passing with cool spring water.  

 

end faq